Friday 30 November 2012

Week 5 Review

There's eight really quite strong contestants now. Another double elimination?! Good grief! It's difficult to pick out who is going to get those all important next six places now, although I suppose the votes to date do give us an idea but I still feel anything can change.

Vino and Tate just don't look like pop stars to me, however well they sing, but they have amassed enough votes so far to maintain a top 3 position. I guess Cece has the most work to do and she must be feeling very vulnerable. It's not easy, looking at the others, to pick two acts that she'll have to see go in order to stay.

The Top 10 board gets displayed. Those fonts! Oh, so sad. Tonight we are also promised the Will.i.am and Britney premiere. That ought to be good, based on what the man's been doing lately. It's like he's found a second wind.

So here they go:

Diamond

I Want To Dance With Somebody
Great track. One of my favourites normally. Super start but, although there was some nice work on the way, this was not inspirational at all in the middle. She ended well, though, and if she'd had another five minutes she'd have won everyone over. That's not necessarily a bad sign and I can imagine her entertaining a crowd. Her votes this week? I'm unsure. Just too much keft me wishing I could dig out the original and play that again.

Vino

You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling
Wow. The big one. Good choice LA. At short notice too. Odd movements and style I find a bit off-putting and not exactly watchable. He didn't really take the song anywhere. Reggae?? What on earth was that all about? The backing was excellent and provided a great atmosphere and he also ended well. He's a good singer but not one of his best visuals.
Not sure about his No.3 position this week either,

Paige

Never Going To Give You Up
Good start. One of the best starts for a while and well done for that. This is an odd choice from a massive range of No 1s. I wondered whether she lost the words at one point but... this was an excellent performance, her voice was in the right range and she sounded very good indeed. There were some great breaks in there too and a nice original production. Perhaps she needed to get going a bit more but certainly her best performance so far, showing genuine talent there.

I get the distinct feeling that Demi isn't up to the mentor job and certainly not the song choice and promotion side. She's a pleasant enough judge but sometimes seems out of her depth and, whilst Paige got it right this time, it may not ahve been that much due to Demi.

That should ensure she stays. More pressure on Cece there then.

Fifth Harmony

I like these girls. All very emotional stuff with sad news about Ally's grandad. Quite a relief to see them get going with Stronger. Brilliant. I'm trying to figure out whether it was Camilla taking the lead this time. or was it Lauren again? I really should know, I know, but I just couldn't tell. Whatever, she was great and no faults at all as had been evident in all their previous performances. They're good and I can see them doing really well.

The judges weren't as generous as I think they could have been. As Simon said, I can see them in the charts. I really hope they stay. they ought to, not being anywhere near bottom two out of the four acts so far.

Carly Rose

An Adele song. Rolling In The Deep. I have been saying how smart Britney has been so far. Not this time, The lines were pretty meaningless during the first half, almost as if she was anxious to get all the words and notes right. It improved as she continued and this amazing girl finished in fine style, thank goodness, but I'm not so sure she'll be doing Adele too often in the competition.

She is truly talented but that's not her most memorable effort. No way can that be criticism in comparison to what I write about the others. I guess we're just expecting to be totally blown over every week now. I can't imagine this competition without her in it and hope her voters do actually vote and not assume she'll be there forever.

Tate

Somebody Like You
So what else can this big Country man do? We know he's got the support as even a pretty unimpressive performance last week got him second place. This song could work. He's talking of playing his guitar and 'having fun'. Hmm. I don't identify Tate with fun.

OK. Still big country. The best bit bit was the banjo playing by some other guy. A decent enough performance that his fans should love. So that's him safe then for another week.

Now you just know Emblem3 are going to do well so that means Cece needs to beat Diamond and Vino. Just figured that out. Pretty obvious really that she'll have one tough job. Whacking Vino doesn't sound even remotely possible so is there another possible target? Paige? She hasn't done so well in the votes so perhaps a Paige-Cece sing off is still on the cards? I hope not, as Paige would win that this time, I feel. So, unless Emblem3 make a complete cock-up it will take something quite extraordinarily good from the lovely Cece if she is to survive this week.

Cece

Here we go. There is a space for someone different. Good start, Voulez Vous Couchez Avec Moi? Mais oui! Stupid dress and set Too many other girls and not enough focus on her. She did a damn good job. LA may well have been right to say that she's going down (but not in that sense) fighting. Simon must have hurt with his Pack A Suitcase remark too.

We have to wait for Emblem3 while we get a glimpse of Scream And Shout from Will.i.am and Britney. That was odd and it seemed to just finish before it was supposed to. Lots of video clips of Britney and she was singing in a far lower register than seemed right. Will.i.am did his usual bit but I hope there's a lot more to that track than they showed us. All very odd. In fact I wonder if ITV2's transmission was cut short as it may not be available over herea nd we get a shot of the idiot Khloe chatting to Simon and LA walking back to his desk.

Emblem3

Yes! I'm A Believer! Good choice Simon. It did show how good The Monkees were in places but they brought in some of their own style and brightened up an otherwise bit meaningless and less than exciting performance. I think their fans will love that, though. And vote for it. It could have been fabulous but I don't think it really worked as well as it should.

LA was impressed and more or less offered them a deal. In reply they gave what was almost a 'winners' thank you speech'. Demi didn't like it. Britney wasn't sure either. Interesting. My guess is their fans will be voting big time.




No comments:

Post a Comment